How do I know what is the right size of hosiery for me?
There are many varieties of tights, hold-ups and stockings for sale in shops today, but the massive choice doesn’t always mean we end up buying a correctly fitting pair. Most tights and stockings are sold in sizes small, medium, large and extra-large and are based on height, dress size and hip size. ‘One size fits all’ tights only fit a small selection of women.
Some facts of truth:
· Selecting hosiery that fits properly is one of the best ways to ensure maximum wear life.
· If your hosiery is too tight, it is more susceptible to wear and tear, and it minimizes your flexibility.
· Sizing differs from brand to brand. That is because many brands use different yarns from different sources with different characteristics, and also may use different machinery and knit fabric constructions. So you should always check the size grid or chart on the package.
· Most tights packaging have a chart on the back of the package that gives height and weight ranges for each size.
· If you are at the upper end of a size range, it’s often wise to get the next size for maximum fit and comfort.
· With shiny tights it is especially important to wear the correct size in order to stretch the lycra to create a high shine.
· Properly fitting tights should not bag at your ankles or droop below the gusset, if then they are the wrong size.
· Full-figured women and women who are plus size or tall should look for larger-sized products, because they have to look out for different requirements and demands from their tights for a good fit than for petite or regular sized women.
Please keep in mind the following:
- The sizing charts used by various different manufacturers are likely to vary. There is no unified international sizing system, so you might be a size in one brand but another in different one. Size charts are only there to give you guidance how to find the best size for you. At the end what matters is the fit of the hosiery and how it makes you feel.
- Each brand is designed for a different range of shapes and sizes, also the sizing shown on the size charts can be on the generous or stingy side.